Monday, August 8, 2011

Zero waste golf - could it be any easier?

I am an opportunist. I take it the easy way when easy is available. I wasn't always a zero waste golf advocate, I used to be an all purpose zero waste advocate. My associates and I have designed zero waste protocols for numbers of venues and events. I once pitched the potential for a zero waste stadium to the Philladelphia Phillies. "Too hard" they responded. And they were probably right.

Once I saw how golf courses work, I knew that zero waste golf was a lot easier to accomplish than zero waste at a major sports stadium. Then I started zeroing in on zero waste golf. As compared to other sports venues, golf courses have a very small waste stream, and one that is predictable and easily managed. What better place to practice (or demonstrate) zero waste than one in which it's so easy?

"Zero waste" is a very powerful environmental mantra. Indeed, it is surely the most powerful two words we can use in any eco-conversation. Zero waste trumps all other environmental slogans. Zero waste rules!

I like the idea of golf courses being environmental leaders in the communities that they serve. I'm sick of hearing how golf courses are such bad eco-citizens, what with their excessive water usage, or their over applications of pesticides, bla, bla, bla. You know what I mean. I like it when golf courses take the environmental fight to their opponents with the most powerful environmental strategy that has ever been devised.

But as an opportunist, what I really like is that zero waste golf is so stinking easy. It's so great to slay the environmental competition without even breaking a sweat. And then, when the other sports facilities try to copy zero waste golf's success, it's going to be so much harder for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment