Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Zero Waste Golf for an Hour a day

My daily chores chores at the zero waste park take me about an hour to perform. First I check the compost temperature in each of our two earth tub vessel composters. The earth tubs are sweet. they operate quietly and efficiently, the big stainless steel auger mixing the whole vessel in minutes. Today I added some grass clippings and water to the mix. I'm expecting the temperature to rise above 120 degrees F.



Today I cleaned out the Jenny's composter. Albert's guys sprayed tea through their big sprayer today, I heard they only had to clean out the spray head filters once during the job. Anyway, all I really did was make sure the composter was full of water. That didn't hardly take a minute. I did throw 4 or 5 buckets of compost tea dreggs out onto the new landscape we have around the composter area.



I checked the worms and sprayed the hose on their pile just to give them a drink.  They've eaten almost all the lettuce that was on top of them a couple of days ago.



When I was done checking on the worms, I went up to the maintenance shop to talk to Albert about telling the food guys that the worms and vessel composters are ready and available for their kitchen scraps and food wastes.

That's the typical day in the life of the model Green Golfer Foundation volunteer. About an hour a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment